October:
In late October I found out I had gestational diabetes. What a pain. My endocrinologist put me on insulin and I learned how to eat a low carb diet. Boy was that hard. I never realized how many carbs are in almost everything. Counting my carbs was hard, grabbing whatever to eat is way easier. Knowing that eating right and taking my insulin correctly was so important to my baby being born a good weight and with good blood sugar was motivation. Since giving birth I've been able to stop the insulin and sugar checks and will go for another blood glucose check. With hope I will be diabetes free.
My wonderful sister and mother threw us a great baby shower on October 31, inviting our friends and family. We had the event at Johnny Carino's at the Legends in KC. It was so nice and our guests gave us some wonderful presents. We ate good food and had cake. Tiff planned a couple of games. One where you guessed what was in some baskets and then baby gift bingo. Here are some photos of the day...
My super coworkers also threw me a shower one day after school in November. We were once again blessed with many wonderful baby items.
November:
Starting in November I had to go for weekly biophysical profiles. Basically that's a jazzy name for a sonogram. Every Wednesday (until our baby came) I went to the hospital and they did a sonogram that checked the babies breathing, tone (opening/closing fists, flexing, etc,), movement, and amniotic fluid. They also did a cord doppler reading each time. It was pretty exciting to see the baby each week. It's crazy to think that the first time we saw our baby he was super tiny and then during each the BPPs each week his face would take up most of the screen. It was pretty amazing to see his hands and feet stretch and move and his little face.
I took a second birth class during November. This one at the hospital. It was in the evening so Mom went with me. This class was a little more in depth with what actually happens. It was interesting for my mom to go with me. Though she took a lamaze class back in the day, they didn't go through the same kind of info. Taking another birth class made me feel a little better about our big day.
One thing that was super important before our little one's arrival was some new wheels for Willie. Though the Trans Am is a fun ride, it's not really great for a little one. I'll pass on trying to get a car seat in the back seat of that thing. Willie's other ride was not all that reliable and got a whooping 11 mpg. Oh, yeah! And again, not the easiest vehicle to get a car seat in. So a new vehicle it was. Criteria was that it had to have four doors and get better than 11 mpg. Willie decided he would rather have a new truck and sell the old one than two cars. We ended up with a Toyota Tacoma. Dark grey, 4x4, 4 doors. It's the first brand new car Willie has ever owned and I think he deserves it. So far it's been great in the snow. We sold his old truck so we don't have too many vehicles.
Thanksgiving was a fun time as my sister Tiffany and her husband came to visit. We enjoyed our time with them.
December:
This was a month of getting everything finished up. We finished up the major baby shopping and room decorating. It was fun to get things organized. A team effort by Willie, Mom, Dad and I finished the dressers. Then we got to wash and put everything away. There are still a few things left to do, like getting some photographs for the walls and building a shelf, but I think the room looks pretty great. Mom helped me put together a crib quilt that was the inspiration for the room, limes and teals with sea turtles. As a Christmas present Mom had it quilted together. It was fun to work on it together and it got finished in the nick of time.
I also finished up the semester at school. Though I didn't get as much ready as I had hoped, I ended the semester with everything graded! And I don't have to go back until after spring break! YAY!
December also brought my brother Nate home. It was exciting to see him after so many months of him being in Australia.
It's hard to find time to write on this blog when it's so easy and way more important to snuggle a certain someone all day long. Our Christmas story will be posted soon.











No comments:
Post a Comment