Jake and Lola both turned four this summer. Jake in June and Lola in July. If you've been to our house you've probably seen them thought we usually put them "up" when company comes over. They really, really love people. Like Jake really likes to practice his slobbery kissing skills. And while if they aren't in the backyard or our bedroom you might get knocked over, they are lovers till the end. And very loyal. That is why I feel so bad for this gal....
Lola tore the doggie equivalent of her back left ACL. Booo. To be honest it happened a while ago. She never whimpers just doesn't walk on it and hobbles around with only three legs. Usually she can stretch it out and then walks on it. But a few days ago she wouldn't use it at all. So after debating all night I took her to the vet. A shot of sedative and thirty minutes later and it looks like Lola gets to have surgery. A lot of people would probably say too bad, she can suffer on three legs. We love Lola too much to not help her out. She really is a great dog she just seems to attract medical issues (she had colitis when she was just a pup). Now it's time to choose between our vet and K-State. And besides this guy needs someone to hang out with....
When we got Jake and Lola, Willie wanted a boy and a girl so we could breed them. After taking care of Lola's litter-mates, I persuaded him that I wanted no part of breeding. So Jake and Lola got the big fix. I think we have both been very happy with the decision. Lola's brothers and sisters were hard to sell and it was hard for me to let them go to people I didn't know. Every time I hear about stray, abandoned or abused dogs or cats I know we made the right decision. Looking back we really had no business even considering to breed dogs. There are so many purebred dogs and puppies available in shelters and rescue groups that need good homes because people think they could make a buck or two or because they think that getting a dog spayed or neutered is too expensive. Well news flash, puppies are more expensive. Okay, so where is this rant going? Let me introduce Maui....
Maui is my sister's foster dog. She's a Pitt Bull and was abused by her past owners. Tiff is giving her a second chance by fattening her up and helping her find a forever home. She's a really nice pitt. Loves to play, loves people, loves other dogs. My point is if you want a dog or cat go get a shelter pet. They are just as good (if not better) as dogs from breeders or people who don't fix their dogs. I love Jake and Lola and wouldn't give them up, but I'm really glad we didn't help contribute to the over population of shelters. If we ever get a cat or another dog it will definitely come from a shelter. And just because, here's a photo of Maui's current roomies (Tiff's full time dogs)....



Those are my doggies!! Thanks for the greate pictures of them.
ReplyDelete